Toggle menu

Documents you will need for appointment

Other ways to prove your identification


Please note: ID cards, including from the EU/EEA can no longer be used to give notice.

If you were born in the UK before 1 January 1983:

  • You can use a valid UK birth certificate or valid UK driving licence. If using a UK driving license as an ID you cannot use it as proof of address

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983 and do not have a valid passport:

  • You will need to bring your full original UK birth certificate along with evidence of your parent(s) nationality at birth. This could be their passport or their birth certificates. You can get copies of birth certificates from the Register Office where the person was born

A UK certificate of naturalisation:

  • We can only accept a certificate of naturalisation if it has been issued by the United Kingdom

If you were born on or after 1 January 1983, or not born in the UK and do not hold a valid passport, UK Certificate of Naturalisation or Home Office travel document:

  • You will need to obtain a passport or UK Travel Document before making an appointment