Toggle menu

Documents you will need for appointment

What do I need to provide as proof of my identification?

You must be able to prove your name, age, nationality and current address. For this you will need to bring along one of the following to your appointment:

  • a valid passport or
  • Home Office travel document.
  • If you do not have a current passport and were born on or before 31 December 1982, you will need to provide your birth certificate. If you were born on or after 1 January 1983, you will need to provide evidence of your parents' nationalities also.

If you do not have either of these, see other ways you can prove your identity 

  • proof of address which can be:
    • a utility bill less than 3 months old (not a mobile phone bill)
    • a bank statement less than one month old
    • your most recent Council Tax bill or mortgage statement dated no more than one year before the date on which notice is given
    • a valid UK driving licence with your current address - original only
    • a Current residential tenancy agreement
    • a Legal Statement declaring a person lives at your address  - if recently moved to St Helens (including temporarily) with valid supporting evidence