Toggle menu

Documents you will need for appointment

If you have been in a married or civil partnership before

You must bring proof that the marriage or partnership has ended. 

To prove your previous marriage or civil partnership is ended, you will need to provide one of the following.

  • The original UK Decree Absolute or Dissolution
    This is the final divorce document and must be the original. You can get your Decree Absolute from GOV.UK (external link).
  • Overseas divorce papers
    This must be the original and final divorce. If the divorce is not in English you will need to provide a full 3rd party translation. You or your partner cannot do the translation, but a friend or relative can. There is no need to pay for a professional translation.
  • A death certificate
    This must be the original death certificate and link you to your former husband or wife. You may need to provide the original marriage certificate so we can establish a link.
  • Documents confirming annulment
    If a marriage has been annulled you will need to show an original document proving this. if the document is not in English you will need to provide a 3rd party translation.
  • Change of name linkage - if your decree absolute or civil partnership dissolution does not match your passport or birth certificate you will need to provide the marriage or civil partnership certificate to show the linkage from the last marriage or civil partnership.