Toggle menu

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help working-age households with basic living expenses and housing costs. It is administered and paid by the Department for Work and Pensions and replaces the following working-age legacy benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you live in St Helens, you will normally be directed to claim Universal Credit instead of the above benefits.


  • If you live in supported or placed in temporary accommodation, you should claim Universal Credit but will receive help with your rent via Housing Benefit. 

How to claim Universal Credit

Claim online at

If you do not have direct access to the internet, you can visit one of the many internet access points in St Helens at or use your own device at a local library or a free local WiFi hotspot

If you need help making a claim:

Universal Credit help line:

Telephone: 0800 328 5644
Textphone: 0800 328 1344

More information and advice

If you need help with managing your money, speak to your Work Coach or visit:

Other awards

If you qualify for Universal Credit, you may also be entitled to other awards:

If you live in rented accommodation

If you live in rented accommodation, please remember that any housing costs will normally be paid directly to you and not your landlord. You will need to make arrangements to pay your rent.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon
Last modified on 03 April 2024