Applying for free school meals
Your child will be eligible for free school meals if you (or your partner) are in receipt of any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit) and your annual gross income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) is not more than £16,190
- Working Tax Credit 'run on' - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit and net earnings, from your last assessment period, is not more than £7,500 per year (£616.67 per month).
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Once eligible, your child will continue to receive free school meals in primary or secondary school until they finished their current phase of education i.e. primary (Year 6) or secondary (Year 11).
From 1 April 2023, if your child moves between primary and secondary school you need to reapply for free school meals.
Your child's school will also receive additional funding if you are in receipt of a qualifying award listed above. It is therefore important that you claim free school meals and the pupil premium even if your child does not wish to take a school meal or your child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 and already receives an infant free school meal.
If your child attends an academy
If your child is attending one of the following schools, you will need to contact the school directly to apply for free school meals:
- St Mary & St Thomas' C.E. Primary School, WA10 2HS
- Rainhill St Ann's Church of England Primary School, L35 0LQ
Provide information in support of your claim
Changes in circumstances
Please contact us if you have a change in your circumstances, for example, your child changes school or you move address, so that we can keep our records up to date.
|Write to:||St Helens Borough Council, Revenues and Benefits, PO Box 10592, NOTTINGHAM, NG6 6DP|