Restoration in 2014
Victoria Park is managed by St Helens Borough Council. In partnership with Friends of Victoria Park and Age UK Mid Mersey (who own Mansion House), it underwent a major £4 million facelift to restore it to its former glory and create exciting new facilities.
Funding was secured from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Ibstock Corey, Corey Environmental Trust for Britain (CETB), BLISS and United Utilities.
Over £3 million was secured from the Heritage Lottery Fund and a major programme of activity redressed the park's decline during the 1980s and 1990s, restoring many of its original features and revitalising its use and popularity.
The completion of the restoration in summer 2014 took the park forward to be a place for all the community for another 150 years to come.
The following historic assets were repaired and restored:
- The Gate Lodge
- The pond
- The folly and rose garden
- A 1913-style orangery to host functions and events for older people and the general public
- The terracotta fountain and bench
- The walled garden and porch
- Some of the tennis courts
- Landscape features, views and sight lines
- Community and educational facilities within the lodge
- A Victorian bandstand to facilitate music and other events
- Visitor information and interpretation for adults and children
- Additional planting and bio-diversification
- Community garden on the old bowling green
- Enhanced paths, seating and fitness trail
- Enhanced lighting and car parking
- Cycle hub
The Gate Lodge