Walking and cycling
Cycling is an easy way to incorporate low-impact exercise into your daily routine. Bikes are cheap to run, easy to maintain and cycling provides one of the most reliable ways to travel. It helps to combat obesity, ease congestion and produces virtually no pollution or noise.
Some top tips from Sustrans, a charity making it easier for people to walk and cycle:
- New to cycling or getting back to it? Top tips to help you feel safe and confident on your bike
- How to choose the right bike for you
- Give your bike a clean
- Check your bike is safe to ride
- Bike security
- How to start cycling to work
- Reasons to ride an electric bike
- Cycling for families and children
Cycling programmes and initiatives:
- Pedal Power Experience run free bike rides for all abilities and repair bikes.
- British Cycling's 'Let's Ride' platform has local bike rides led by experienced ride leaders. They also organise Breeze rides (women only) for all abilities.
- The Woollybacks mountain bike club runs local bike rides around St Helens.
- Active St Helens provides support and inspiration for activities to help you be more active, including cycling activities and groups
- St Helens Borough Council also delivers a range of cycling programmes and initiatives. Please see link below.