Toggle menu

Re-register a child following marriage of natural parents

How do I apply?

For re-registration after marriage, a re-registration form (LA1) must be completed and signed by both natural parents, but only one of the parents will need to attend the Register Office. 

Is there a fee for re-registration?

Re-registration is free of charge.

New certificates are chargeable at £11.00 per certificate

What you need to do

  • Make an appointment at the Register Office where the original birth was registered. 
  • Complete the re-registration form (LA1)

Remember to bring these documents to your appointment:

  • your child's original birth certificate  
  • your marriage certificate

The registrar will usually be able to authorise the re-registration, otherwise it must be authorised by the Registrar General.

The registrar will be able to advise on this.