Toggle menu

Re-register a child following marriage of natural parents

Where can I re-register the birth?

It is best to attend the Register Office where the original birth was registered. 

However, you can do this at any Register Office in England and Wales, providing the child was born in England or Wales, if it is not the Register Office who registered the birth, you will have to provide a full birth certificate for the child, dated after your marriage.

Can my child's surname be changed?

You may be able to change your child's surname. Check with your local Register Office.