Get help and advice to keep warm in winter
The guide contains lots of useful information and advice about simple actions you can take to help you stay warm and healthy throughout the winter months. It also provides details of the support available to reduce energy bills and make energy efficiency improvements to keep your home warm.
For more information please call our Affordable Warmth team on 01744 676555.
Top tips to keep well during winter
- Get vaccinated. Make sure you have received a flu vaccine if you are eligible and make sure you are fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Wash your hands regularly and cover coughs and sneezes.
- Wear a face covering in crowded places or when social distancing is difficult.
- Let fresh air in if you meet indoors. Meeting outdoors is safer.
- Test twice a week for COVID-19 and self-isolate if required.
- Consider limiting close contact with other people.
- Consider taking vitamin D over the autumn and winter months unless you have a medical reason to avoid it.
- Try and stay at home if you are feeling unwell. Get advice from your pharmacy, NHS 111, or your GP. Don't delay in seeking help.
- It is common for mental health to dip in the winter. There is help and support available (see useful numbers in the guide).
- Eat warm and healthy food, drink plenty, and keep active.
- Dress for the weather and keep your home warm.
- Check in on vulnerable neighbours and relatives.