What to do to make sure you don't break the law when:
You pay someone to dispose of your waste
It applies to everyone involved in handling the waste from the person who produces it to the person who finally disposes of or recovers it. You can easily check if someone has a waste carrier's licence online.
- Ask for and check their licence number.
- When they come to collect your waste, ask them to provide a waste transfer note or a receipt. You can download and print a template.
Disposing of waste yourself
There are several ways to responsibly dispose of household waste yourself, including:
- Using our bulky waste collection service.
- Taking waste and recycling to a household waste recycling site or Bring Bank.
- Using our kerbside collection services.
Illegal methods of waste disposal
Some people aren't aware that the following actions are NOT acceptable ways to dispose of waste. These actions are anti-social, damaging to our environment and against the law:
- Used social media to find someone to remove her waste for her - read Kate's story.
- Left his fridge on the footpath outside his house hoping that the Scrap Metal van would collect it - read Paul's story.
- Dumped bags of rubbish she wanted to get rid of, in the alleyway at the back of her house - read Mo's story.
Report a fly-tipper
Have you seen a fly-tip or someone fly-tipping in St Helens Borough?
Dumping waste anywhere, such as in a field, an alleyway, a street corner or a lay by is against the law - just ask David!
Please let us know about fly-tipping here or by calling 01744 676789. Sending us information and evidence helps us to find and prosecute those responsible.
Our removal of fly-tipping
When our crews go out to pick up reported fly-tipping, they sometimes have to visit the site that has got the dumped rubbish on more than once, due to what has been tipped. For instance it could be household waste and a fridge, these will be picked up separately by our crews due to how they need to be disposed of, it may even be on a different day, so if you have reported fly-tipping and you see our crew only taking half of it, this may be the reason, we will return.