Toggle menu

If you are a care leaver

Most young people who have been in care are entitled to help if they become homeless. The help you are entitled to usually depends on your age and personal circumstances.

The help you get mainly depends on your age:

  • If you are a looked after child under the care of St Helens Borough Council, the 'Children We Look After' team are responsible for finding you somewhere to live until you turn 18. You can contact this team or get in touch with your personal advisor on 01744 671241.
  • If you are aged 18, 19 or 20 and are a homeless care leaver, our Housing Options and Advice Services must help with trying to secure alternative accommodation. You may be entitled to emergency housing from us if you are considered to be in priority need. If you were a looked after child at any time when you were 16 or 17 and are now aged 18-20, you are likely to be in priority need.
  • If you are a care leaver aged over 21 and homeless, there is no guarantee that the council will provide you with temporary accommodation but we will discuss your housing options with you and complete a personalised housing plan.

You can contact the Housing Options team on 01744 675150 to discuss your situation or email us at

If you have not already done so and wish to be considered for social housing, you can register an application at