Toggle menu

Scrap metal dealers


In order to run a scrap metal business you must have the appropriate licence to do so. There are two types of licence:

Site licence

A site licence authorises the licence holder to carry on business at any site in the authority's area which is identified on the licence. All the sites where the applicant carries on business as a scrap metal dealer have to be identified and a site manager has to be appointed for each site.                                            

This licence allows the holder to transport scrap metal to and from those sites from any local authority area.

A site is the place where scrap metal is bought and sold, even if it isn't the place where the scrap metal is stored. So if you own a number of sites in St Helens where you buy or sell scrap metal, each site will need to be included on your application. If you buy scrap metal door to door, and do not have a place where you buy or sell the metal then you will need a collector's licence instead.

Mobile collector's licence

A collector's licence authorises the licence holder to carry on business as a mobile collector in the authority's area. A mobile collector is a person who:                                                                                             

  • Carries on business as a scrap metal dealer otherwise than at a site.
  • Regularly engages, in the course of that business, in collecting waste materials and old, broken, worn out or defaced articles by means of visits from door to door

This allows the licence holder to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing local authority. It does not allow the collector to operate in any other local authority area, so a separate licence has to be obtained from each council the collector wishes to operate in. The licence does not authorise the holder to operate a site where scrap metal is bought and sold. To do so you will need a site licence.

    Share this page

    Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


    print icon