Any person who wishes to be in charge of, or navigate, a pleasure boat/vessel for the purpose of letting it out for hire to members of the public, or carrying passengers for hire, must obtain a licence from us.
This power is given to local authorities under Section 94 Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907.
How to apply
To apply for a pleasure boat licence you will need to and return it to us by email or by post along with the following documentation:
- A valid certificate of insurance for the boat/vessel
- A copy of any relevant qualifications
|New application (per vessel)||£65.50|
|Renewal application (per vessel)||£65.50|
Inspection of the boat/vessel
Once your application has been validated, we will arrange an inspection to assess the boat's/vessel's fitness for purpose.
All boats/vessels must:
- Be deemed safe and fit for purpose by a professional council-approved assessor
- Be insured to cover all third-party risks, to a level deemed appropriate by us
- Comply with the statutory requirements and conditions imposed by us