Section 49 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 states that the Local Authority may reduce or remit the whole or part of the rates on a particular premises if:
- the ratepayer would sustain hardship if the Authority did not do so; and
- it is reasonable for the Authority to do so having regard to the interests of the persons subject to Council Tax within the Authority.
To apply for relief you must provide details in writing of:
- the assistance you require
- your business accounts showing that you are in hardship
- staffing levels of the business
- reasons for the hardship
- effect on your business and the community if the relief is not granted
- your proposals as to how you plan to get out of the situation
Send your application to:
St Helens Borough Council - Business Rates
PO Box 10592
Please note: while your application is being processed your Business Rates remain legally due and payable as currently billed. You can contact the Business Rate section on 01744 675264 to make alternate arrangements.