Toggle menu

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are additional amounts of money we can pay to either you or your landlord if your housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit does not cover the full amount of rent you have to pay.

You can only receive a DHP if you are already getting housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit. To help us decide if you need extra help, we will look at:

  • the amount of income and or savings you have
  • if family, friends or anyone else in your household can help
  • if you have any non-priority debts and could manage your money better
  • if anyone is ill, disabled or your home has been adapted to meet a disablement need
  • if you are a foster carer or waiting for a foster placement
  • your family size and the amount of benefits you receive mean you are subject to the overall benefit cap
  • if you are at risk of becoming homeless

DHPs cannot pay for:

  • ineligible service charges
  • increases in rent due to outstanding rent arrears
  • certain sanctions and reductions in benefit

DHPs are normally only paid for a short time to help you through a difficult period while you find solutions to your financial situation and are only paid to a maximum of the actual rent that you are charged.

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment online or telephone 01744 676789 for more advice.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon
Last modified on 09 November 2023