Toggle menu

Highway permit scheme

Our permit scheme is designed to coordinate activities on the public highway, so as to improve our ability to minimise disruption from road and street works.

Who needs a permit?

Anyone wishing to work on the adopted public highway must obtain permission by applying for a permit in accordance with the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991. 

This includes works being undertaken by:

  • Utility companies
  • Contractors
  • Our own internal departments

Aims of the permit scheme

The aim of the permit scheme is to minimise disruption and reduce occupation on the highway to benefit all road users.

Street Works contact details

St Helens Borough Council Street Works department (08:00am - 4:30pm, Monday to Friday): 01744 671800 / 01744 676259

St Helens Borough Council - out of hours: 01744 676728