Toggle menu

Diversion routes

We are responsible for providing temporary Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) to allow roads to be closed, or to restrict traffic movement in order to permit temporary road works or to manage events on the public highway, such as crane operations or street parties.

Depending on the type of request, a site meeting is usually required with the applicant and a representative from the council. Bus operator input may also be needed if a bus route is involved.

There is a cost for providing a road closure. We require a minimum notice of between six to eight weeks before the works or event are due to begin, to carry out the required legal procedures.

If a closure is required, a diversion route may need to be signed to assist traffic to find a suitable way around the closure and to minimise potential disruption on the highway network. The cost of erecting, maintaining and removing diversion route signing is the responsibility of the contractor or company organising the works. In all cases the diversion must be agreed in advance with the council.

For more advice on this issue or to request a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order application form, please contact