Toggle menu

Religious marriages

Church of England

You should contact the vicar at the church for advice on the legal requirements for marriage and fees. 

If either party is a national of a country outside of the EEA, you will be required to give notice of marriage at a designated register office.

Marriage or civil partnership at other religious buildings

If you wish to marry or form a civil partnership in a church or religious building that is not the Church of England or Church in Wales, you should:

  • Arrange to see the person in charge of marriages at the building.
  • Give notice of marriage at your local register office.

 Please note that you can only be married in a church in a different district from where you both live if:

  • One or both parties usually worship in that building.
  • There is no church of your religion in the district where you or the person you are marrying lives.

In some cases, a registrar from the register office may be required for the registration of a marriage or civil partnership in a church or other religious building. Please confirm with the person in charge of ceremonies at the building. If this is the case, then you should contact the register office to book a registrar.