Toggle menu

Flood advice and community guidance

Flooding can be caused by many different sources, such as overflowing rivers or streams, heavy rain, blocked drains, or technical failures such as damage to a water main. This section outlines general advice and guidance for before, during and after a flood event.

What you can do

  • Check for current flooding in your area via the Environment Agency Flood Information Services;
  • Check the long-term flood risk in your area via the Environment Agency Flood Information Services;
  • Make a flood plan to make sure you, your family and your home will be protected if the worst happens (see the Environment Agency's Personal Flood Plan);
  • Keep a list of important numbers with you - emergency services, utilities, insurance company etc;
  • Familiarise yourself with the isolation points for water, gas and electricity for your property;
  • If you feel you are at risk of flooding, put important documents and belongings in a safer place;
  • See the Environment Agency's document on how to respond before, during and, after a flood;
  • Visit GOV.UK for further information.

Flood alerts

You can sign up for free flood warning and alerts from the Environment Agency.

Report a flooding issue / help us

As the public, you are our eyes and ears to local flooding events. Flooding can happen quickly and disappear just as fast, so we need your knowledge, photos and other records to help us investigate incidents and to support future funding opportunities to secure mitigation measures. To report any flood-related issues or, send anything that may help, please contact us. Reporting flooding to the council grants permission for the information reported to be shared with other Risk Management Authorities.

Report a flooding incident to the council online. Alternatively, call 01744 676789.

Insurance and land ownership information

Stay up-to-date with flood insurance changes via:

The council currently does not have specific funding mechanisms to support those affected residents and businesses who have no property insurance or have flood damage excluded from their insurance policy. The responsibility to protect a property lies with the land owner.

If you own land or property alongside a river or other watercourse

A watercourse is any natural or artificial channel that water flows through such as a river, brook, beck, or stream. If you own property alongside a watercourse, you may be the 'riparian owner' and could be responsible for up to the centre line of a watercourse. View the riparian ownership guide on the Environment Agency's website, which explains your rights and responsibilities.

Note: We have received multiple queries about the modification of Environment Agency maps, which are used to identify flood risk, for insurance-related reasons. These maps are not owned, produced, or modified by the council.

One-stop flood hub

If you need more details on flood risk, flood alerts, insurance etc, the North West Flood Hub provides information and guidance for members of the public and businesses.

Flooding contact information

If there is a risk to life, please dial the emergency services on 999

St Helens Borough Council

Contact number: 01744 676789

Environment Agency

Floodline (24-hour): 
Telephone: 0345 988 1188
Textphone: 0345 602 6340

Incident hotline (24-hour): 0800 80 70 60

United Utilities

Telephone (24-hour): 0345 672 3723