Christmas opening times
- Friday 23 December - business as usual
- Saturday 24 December - Contact Centre closed
- Sunday 25 December - Contact Centre closed
- Monday 26 December - Contact Centre closed
- Tuesday 27 December - Contact Centre closed
- Wednesday 28 December - call centre open 9am-5pm, reception closed
- Thursday 29 December - call centre open 9am-5pm, reception closed
- Friday 30 December - call centre open 9am-5pm, reception closed
- Saturday 31 December - Contact Centre closed
- Monday 2 January - Contact Centre closed
- Tuesday 3 January - business as usual
Contact Cares is the single point of access for all social care and adult health referrals in St Helens Borough, and the first point of contact for children referrals.
The team provide help for a range of issues including health and care needs and are available every day throughout the festive period, from 8am to 10pm, on 01744 676767 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
WelcomeSpaces are somewhere you can go to get warm, stay warm and enjoy a little company. In some you'll also be able to get refreshments.
Residents of all ages across the borough are welcome to come into our libraries and leisure centres, to stay warm, and there are other Welcome Spaces across the borough.
Our Welcome Spaces directory shows where known Welcome Spaces are available and their opening times. It also includes information on facilities and access.
Mental health support
The festive period isn't always festive for everyone. It can be a difficult time for some.
Whatever the issue and whatever is going on, it's #OK2ASK for help.
Urgent support: if you are having thoughts of suicide, are harming yourself or have thoughts about self-harm, it's important to tell someone. These thoughts and feelings can be complex, frightening and confusing, but you do not have to struggle alone. You can speak to your GP. If you cannot wait to see a doctor and feel unable to cope or keep yourself safe, contact Mersey Care Mental Health Crisis Line 24/7 freephone on 0800 051 1508.
Register Office and cemeteries
Our register office is open for death registrations only during the Christmas period. These are triaged by telephone first and all registrations are by appointment. We accept card payments only for certificates.
Please phone 01744 676789 during the following hours:
- Monday 26 December 2022: Closed
- Tuesday 27 December 2022: Closed
- Wednesday 28 December 2022: 9am-4pm
- Thursday 29 December 2022: 9am-4pm
- Friday 30 December 2022: 9am-3pm
- Monday 2 January 2023: Closed
- Tuesday 3 January 2023: Normal hours resume
We will be on call (01744 676728 or 01744 676789) to issue emergency funeral documents for faith burials on:
- Saturday 24 December (10am-4pm)
- Sunday 25 December
- Monday 26 December (10am-12 noon)
- Saturday 31 December (10am-4pm)
- Sunday 1 and Monday 2 January (10am-12 noon)
We will also be available to answer enquiries about Registrar General Licence weddings/civil partnerships throughout the Christmas and New Year period.
Emergency Duty Team
Concerned about someone's safety or welfare?
If you believe that a child, young person or adult is at immediate risk, you should report this without delay to the police service on 999.
If they are not in immediate danger, you can do one of the following:
- Call the Contact Cares team on 01744 676767 and tell them that you have a concern about a child;
- Outside of office hours, call the Emergency Duty Team on 0345 050 0148;
- Call Merseyside Police on 0151 709 6010 (24-hour line);
- Discuss your concerns with a professional you can trust such as a health visitor, teacher or GP; or
- Contact the NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000.
Who will answer the phone?
An EDT call handler will answer the phone and take details of the problem and your contact details. They will then pass this information over to an experienced and qualified Emergency Duty Social Worker.
Food banks and pantries
St John The Baptist Church in Earlestown will continue to be open each Wednesday, including 28 December, from 11:30am to 1:30pm.
The other four food banks managed by The Hope Centre in St Helens (The Mount, Christian Life Centre, St Helens Parish Church and Newton Community Centre) close on Friday 23 December, then re-open on Tuesday 3 January.
The warm hub at Wonderland Community Centre (WA10 3JQ) is open on Thursday 29 December and if you need a food bank, please message them on Facebook.
St Matthew's Centre, Thatto Heath, WA10 3SE (open on Wednesdays)
- 28 December: 8:45am-11:30am
St Luke's, Knowsley Road, WA10 4PU (open on Wednesdays)
- Closed on 28 December and reopens on 4 January
Sutton Community Food Project
- Reopens on 2 January, 1.30pm-4pm
- Reopens on 10 January