Toggle menu

Get help with fuel, food or furniture in a crisis

Help in a crisis e.g. fuel or food vouchers

We do not provide crisis loans or cash payments, including where you have lost or spent your money. We will, however, signpost you to other support and welfare services if you are in financial need and there is a serious risk to your health and safety.

1) Please check whether you are entitled to support provided by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or Job Centre Plus:

  • Short-term benefit advances. If you have made a new benefit claim and are waiting for payment, or have an existing claim where there is a significant change of circumstance that will increase the amount of benefit you receive, you can apply for a short-term benefit advance by calling the DWP's Benefit Enquiry hotline on 0845 608 8526.
  • Budgeting loans are interest-free loans available to help pay for essential items. Please visit for further information.
  • Hardship payments for those who have received a benefit sanction. To claim hardship payments you will need to complete form JSA ESA10JP at your local Job Centre Plus office.

2) If you are seeking support following a disaster and are homeless you should contact our housing team.

3) If you have a designated social worker/support worker, please contact them if there is a serious risk to your health and safety. You can phone our customer services team on 01744 676789 if you need help to contact your social worker.

4) If you have exhausted other options and you consider that there is a serious risk to your health and safety, please complete the crisis application form or contact us on 01744 676666.