Toggle menu

Re-register a child following marriage of natural parents

Why do I need to re-register my child's birth?

Re-registration is the completion of a new record of birth, which replaces an original registration.

If the natural parents marry after the birth of their child, they are required under the Legitimacy Act 1976 to apply for the re-registration of their child's birth.


Where can I re-register the birth?

It is best to attend the Register Office where the original birth was registered. 

However, you can do this at any Register Office in England and Wales, providing the child was born in England or Wales, if it is not the Register Office who registered the birth, you will have to provide a full birth certificate for the child, dated after your marriage.

Can my child's surname be changed?

You may be able to change your child's surname. Check with your local Register Office.

How do I apply?

For re-registration after marriage, a re-registration form (LA1) must be completed and signed by both natural parents, but only one of the parents will need to attend the Register Office. 

Is there a fee for re-registration?

Re-registration is free of charge.

New certificates are chargeable at £11.00 per certificate

What you need to do

  • Make an appointment at the Register Office where the original birth was registered. 
  • Complete the re-registration form (LA1)

Remember to bring these documents to your appointment:

  • your child's original birth certificate  
  • your marriage certificate

The registrar will usually be able to authorise the re-registration, otherwise it must be authorised by the Registrar General.

The registrar will be able to advise on this.


Book your appointment

Appointment times are between the hours of 9.00am and 4.00pm, Monday to Friday.

To make an appointment please contact us on 01744 676789 

Our online appointments service is coming soon!