CCTV and security
The system has been developed in response to crime and fear of crime in St Helens. The sole purpose of the system is to make the borough a safer and more welcoming place at any time of the day or night, allowing all citizens and visitors to participate fully and without fear in the life of the borough.
The objectives of the St Helens CCTV system, as determined by the partnership which forms the lawful basis for the processing of data, are:
- To help reduce the fear of crime;
- To help deter crime;
- To help detect crime and provide evidential material for court proceedings;
- To assist in the overall management of St Helens;
- To enhance community safety, and assist in developing the economic wellbeing of St Helens and encourage greater use of the town centre, shopping malls and car parks;
- To assist the local authority in its enforcement and regulatory functions within the St Helens borough;
- To assist with traffic management;
- To assist in supporting civil proceedings which will help detect crime;
- To help deliver the Community Safety Partnership Delivery Plan.
The day-to-day management of the scheme is undertaken by the Security Manager. A member of the public wishing to register a complaint about any aspect of the system may do so by contacting the manager through the Contact Centre on 01744 676789.
All complaints will be dealt with in accordance with the St Helens Borough Council complaints procedure.