Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

On & Off Street Parking Penalty Charge Notices

St Helens Council is responsible for the enforcement of the parking regulations both on and off-street. The Council will issue Penalty Charge Notices for vehicles parking in contravention of the regulations.

Payment of Penalty Charge Notices

If you receive a Penalty Charge Notice from St Helens Council for a breach of either the on or off-street parking regulations and you wish to pay the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) you should make your payment as follows:-

Pay by Post -

  • Using the payment slip attached to the Penalty Charge Notice, Notice To Owner or Charge Certificate, please make cheques payable to "St Helens Council".
  • Please ensure you write the PCN number on the back of your cheque or postal order.
  • Allow 2 working days for 1st class post and 5 working days for 2nd Class post.
  • Please do not send cash as responsibility cannot be taken for its loss. Post dated cheques are not accepted.
  • Send your payment together with the completed slip to:

    Income Section,
    2nd Floor,
    Wesley House,
    Corporation Street,
    St Helens,
    WA10 1HF.

By telephone -

  • Using the automated telephone service number 01744 671699, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Credit/debit card payments only. You will need your ten digit PCN number when making a payment.

Internet -

  • Online payments by debit or credit card can be made 24 hours a day. Make a payment.

In person -

  • Contact Centre, Wesley House, Corporation Street, St Helens WA10 1HF.
  • For payment only - Monday to Friday 10.00am to 4.00pm, by cash, cheque, postal order, credit/debit card.
  • Cheques and Postal Orders should be made payable to "St.Helens Council".

St Helens Libraries -

  • By Credit/Debit card. You will need your ten digit PCN number when making a payment.


Payment should only be made if the penalty is not disputed.


Cancellation Policy

The Council has produced a document showing examples where we may or may not cancel a Penalty Charge Notice. You can read or download the Cancellation Policy.

Appeals and Challenges

If you believe that the penalty charge notice should not be paid and wish to challenge the PCN, please write to:

St Helens Council, Parking Services, Town Hall, Victoria Square, St Helens WA10 1HP

E-mail: parkingenforcement@sthelens.gov.uk

You may use the Penalty Charge Notice Challenge and Appeals Form to make a challenge.

If you are unable to write or email, or have any other enquiry, please telephone 01744 676782.

Please quote the PCN number, the vehicle registration and your address in all contacts.

Following consideration of your challenge, we will write to you with our decision. If you disagree with the decision, the registered keeper of the vehicle will then have the opportunity on receipt of a Notice to Owner, to make a formal representation against the Penalty Charge Notice.

Should the Council decide to reject the formal representations, you have the right to appeal to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. This is an independent service and the decision is final and binding on both parties.

Details of how to challenge or appeal are on the back of the Penalty Charge Notice.

St Helens Council is a member of the Parking and Traffic Regulations Outside London (PATROL) Adjudication Joint Committee. The Joint Committee publishes an Annual Statement of Accounts  which is subject to External Audit.