Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Consent Applications

Alterations to watercourses in the Borough require consent from either the Environment Agency or the Council, this applies to developments that already have planning permission or other consents. Consent is brought about by amendments to the Land Drainage Act 1991 by the Flood and Water Management Act 2010, in order to manage flood risk in the Borough. You will require consent to carry out works on, near or over main rivers and ordinary watercourses whether temporary or permanent.

Who to contact for certain consent:

  • Environment Agency: Main Rivers
  • St Helens Council: Ordinary watercourses include streams, drains and ditches, and passages through which water flows that do not form the network of main rivers

Details of Consentable activities can be found in the application pack. Please contact us to check whether your proposals will be deemed to affect the flow of an ordinary watercourse. Email your enquiry.