Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Advice for Flood Events

Flooding can come from a number of different sources including:

  • Rivers
  • Surface water
  • Ground water
  • Snow melt and
  • Man made infrastructure such as clean water pipes and sewerage surcharging

The Environment Agency are responsible for making people aware of flooding from rivers and the sea, providing practical flood advice, and the provision of the flood warning services to the UK.

  • Floods from water pipes: United Utilities: 0845 602 0406
  • River flooding: Environment Agency Incident Hotline on 0800 80 70 60
  • Environment Agency's Advice Floodline service on 0845 988 1188
  • Drains or gullies: Flooding caused by overflowing drains or gullies within the highway network managed by us should be reported to our Contact Centre on 01744 67 6789.
  • Queries or contact can be made via our Report a Problem Service

To find out if your property is at risk of flooding check the Environment Agency flood map.

If you are at risk you may be able to register for the Environment Agency’s free flood warnings service,  telephone 0345 988 1188

Flood updates can also be found by accessing the following services:

Our records are available for public viewing, with an appointment, during normal office hours, if you are

  • A resident
  • A business 
  • Undertaking studies wanting to know the flood risk in an area
  • Enquiring about recorded incidents
  • Viewing the asset register

If you require written confirmation of the information from us, a fee of £75 plus VAT (cheques payable to St. Helens Council) per enquiry is charged for providing the service.

If you wish to request information please contact the Engineering Division or our Council Contact Centre.

To assist the public following the onset or threat of flooding, the Environment Agency have put together a guide to assist the general public by giving practical advice about what to do before, during and after a flood.

The guide provides practical Advice on what to do to protect you and your property, what to do to stay safe in a flood and Advice on recovering from a flood.

If you own land or property alongside a river or other watercourse including a culvert, this guide is for you. It explains your rights and responsibilities as a riverside property owner.

A watercourse is any natural or artificial channel that water flows through, such as a river, including where a river flows through a culvert, brook, beck, or mill stream.

If you own property alongside a watercourse, you may be the 'riparian owner' and could be responsible for up to the centre line of a watercourse.

The Environment Agency's guide on Riparian Ownership gives more information.

Stay up-to-date with flood insurance changes: