Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Vehicle Crossing Application

Kerbs can be lowered outside your property to create a vehicle access to a driveway or garage. This work may be carried out by ourselves or a contractor with the correct accreditation. 

If you wish to have a vehicle crossing completed by a contractor, they will need to apply for a Road Opening Permit and satisfy the council that they are qualified to work on the highway. The current cost of this is £150.

Application process

We can construct dropped kerbs at the request of residents. Planning permission will be required when the property involved has the frontage directly on to a classified road. Please contact our planning department on 01744 676219.

You will need to complete a Vehicle Crossing Application Form and send it to the Highways Maintenance Section at the address shown on the application. A engineer will then check the viability of the proposal, agree the extent of the works required, mark the footpath/kerb-line with white paint and provide you with a written quotation for the construction. 

Typical timescales

  • 2-3 weeks to assess what is required i.e. an initial site visit.
  • 3-4 weeks from initial visit to construction.
  • 4-5 weeks from completion to being invoiced for the works.


A standard crossing (2 tapers and 3 dropped kerbs) is currently priced at £450. Estimates will be provided on a individual basis for anything other than a standard crossing. Prices may also increase where street furniture is needed to be removed or altered i.e. street lighting columns, tree roots and utility apparatus.

No available links.

No related pages available.