SEN Travel Assistance

Help with Travel

If your child is unable to walk to school because of his/ her mobility problems or because of associated health and safety issues related to their special educational needs or disability (SEND) and he/ she is attending the nearest suitable provision, you may be entitled to assistance with transport.

Assistance can be any one of the following:

  • A public service bus pass - for those students who can travel independently
  • Independent Travel training and a public service bus pass.
  • Parental mileage - if a family member is able to drive.
  • A seat on a hired service with or without a Passenger Assistant

If your child is awarded traval assistance you will be required to complete a medical questionnaire form along with up to date contact details and forward it to the School Transport Team. 

If it is appropriate for your child to be issued with a bus pass you will be asked to send a current and appropriate passport sized photograph of your child to the School Transport Team. Once this is received you will be issued with a Solo Student bus pass which will be issued until the end of the school year.  

A Solo pass can be used on any bus service travelling in the St Helens area.

For details of bus timetables, log on to Merseytravel web page.

If it is appropriate for your child to travel on a hired service, you will be notified of the route number, Operator and Passenger Assistant details. You will be informed of an approximate pick up time. It will be your responsibility to bring and collect your child from the vehicle. The Passenger Assistant is not allowed to get off the vehicle whilst there are other children on the route.

If you need to make any change to your child's transport arrangements you will need to contact the School Transport Team on 01744 671031 between 8.45 - 5.15 (Mon - Thursday) and 8.45 - 5.00 (Friday). Alternatively you can contact the team on the out of hours mobile number, 07766087222. This number will be answered from 7.30 until 8.45 am term time only. but messages can be left from 5.20 pm and during the weekend.


The Local Authority will pay for 2 return journeys per day at 28p per mile. A parental mileage form (which can be obtained from the School Transport Team) will need to be completed and a representative from their school will need to verify their attendance, the form needs to be returned on a monthly basis to:

School Transport Team, Atlas House, Corporation Street, St Helens, WA9 1LD

During the Summer Term you will be sent a medical and information questionnaire for you to complete and return to the School Transport Team before the end of Term. If the form is not returned it may result in transport not being available for the start of the new academic year.

Your child's transport requirements will be reviewed on a annual basis.

Further information is available around travel concessions 


The purpose of the Local Offer is to enable parents and young people to see more clearly what services are available for children with special educational needs and disabilities in their area, and how to access them.

Get in Touch...

"I like the pictures and I like the interesting information it has on the website" - Pupil from Allanson Street Primary School

boy in a wheel chair