Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Tell Us Once

Tell Us Once is a service offered by most local authorities on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

The service allows the bereaved person to inform central and local government services of the death at one time rather than having to write, telephone or even attend each service individually.

The Tell Us Once service can save you a great deal of time and effort, at a time when you have many things to sort out.

On registering the death, we will offer you the opportunity to make a Tell Us Once interview appointment with our Customer Services team for a time which suits you and your family, and we will advise you as to what you will need to bring with you.

When you register the death the registrar will:

  • let you know if the service is available in your area
  • give you the phone number
  • give you a unique reference number to use the Tell Us Once service online or by phone

You’ll need the following details of the person who died:

  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Driving licence number - if applicable
  • Passport number - if applicable

You’ll also need:

  • details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, eg State Pension
  • details of any local council services they were getting, eg Blue Badge
  • the name and address of their next of kin
  • the name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’
  • details of any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were getting or paying in to

You need permission from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator or anyone who was claiming joint benefits or entitlements with the person who died, before you give their details.

Tell Us Once will notify:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with tax and cancel benefits
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, eg Income Support
  • Passport Office - to cancel a passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence
  • the local council - to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register
  • public sector or armed forces pension schemes - to stop pension payments

There’s a different process to update property records if the person who died owns land or property.

Additionally, if you choose to make an appointment with us, we will deal with bus passes, social care, assistive technology returns, Careline and many more Council services.

If you prefer to use the service by having a face to face appointment, please mention to the Registrar at the time of registering the death, and they will arrange an appointment for you.

Alternatively, you can contact us on 01744 676789 and we will be happy to make an appointment for you.

The appointment is carried out in our Tell Us Once facility, completely private and atuned to your needs. By using the service like this, we can offer notifications to more services, and advise on benefits, support and other services.

Got everything? - then follow the instructions on the gov.uk facility to Tell Us Once





If you prefer and once you have registered the death with a registrar and have the Tell us Once service number;

Telephone - 0800 085 7308

  • Open Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm.
  • This number is free to call from a BT landline, but other providers, including mobile phone providers, may charge you.
  • If you don't speak English, call on 0800 085 7308 and one of our advisers and an interpreter will call you back and help you.
  • You will need the unique reference number provided by the registrar with you to use the service.