Virtual School for Looked After Children
The aim of the Virtual School is to ensure that Looked After Children (LAC) have the opportunity to fulfil their educational potential.
Although we are not a 'real' school with buildings and classrooms, our Virtual School brings together information about all children who are looked after by the Council - as if they were in a single school. It allows us to closely track each child's progress and ensure we can identify the specific support they may need at an early stage, so we can work with individual schools to implement any actions.
The role of the Virtual School is to:
- Monitor and promote the educational progress and achievement of Looked After Children and care leavers
- Ensure that Personal Education Plans are current, relevant and effective
- Promote and monitor the use of the Pupil Premium Grant
- Support schools and designated teachers to develop effective strategies and support for Looked After Children
- Provide advice and guidance for social workers and carers on issues relating to the education of Looked After Children
- Develop and implement programmes and activities to support the education and learning of Looked After Children
- Provide information, advice and guidance to Looked After Children and care leavers about education, employment and training
- Ensure the educational achievement of Looked After Children is seen as a priority by everyone who has responsibilities for promoting their welfare
- For previously Looked After Children, the Virtual School will be a source of advice and information to help their parents to advocate for them as effectively as possible. The Virtual School is not acting as part of the corporate parent role in these circumstances, but is there to promote the educational achievement of these children through the provision of advice and information to relevant parties.
The Corporate Parent
Corporate parents are councillors and local authority officers responsible for the children in care to them. They are responsible for providing standards of care that would be good enough for their own children.
The Virtual School Team
Head Teacher - Sarah Platt
Principal Education Officer - Janette Connolly
Personal Education Plan Co-ordinator - Nora Arnold
Administration Assistant - Sandra Black
For more information or if you want to contact the Virtual School Team, call on 01744 671092