Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Travel concessions

There are multiple schemes and concessions that as a parent/carer you may be able to apply for, or have access to.

The Blue Badge Scheme provides a national arrangement of parking concessions for people with severe walking difficulties who travel either as drivers or passengers.

The scheme also applies to registered blind people. It allows badge holders to park near their destination.

Badges need renewing every three years. You can get a badge on behalf of your child or young person if they are over two years old and:

  • they receive higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • they are registered blind
  • they have a permanent and substantial disability which means they are unable to walk or have considerable difficulty in walking.  In this case you may need to answer some questions to help the local authority determine your eligibility.

If you are a parent of a child who is less than two years old, you may apply for a badge for your child if they have a specific medical condition which means that they either:

  • must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty
  • need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital.

You may apply for a Blue Badge in a number of ways. You can:

Request an application pack by phone from the Contact Centre on 01744 676789.

You may qualify for a Merseytravel National Travel Pass if you have certain disabilities which are permanent or are long-lasting.
The pass will allow you to travel on buses, trains and Mersey Ferries in Merseyside at any time, Mondays to Sundays.
Further information may be found on the MerseyTravel website, where you will also find information relating to Young Person travel concessions

The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair by exchanging their Government funded mobility allowance . If your child receives either the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance, the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) , then you may be eligible to join the Motability Scheme.

This scheme offers good rates for contract hire and hire purchase of cars, powered wheelchairs and scooters for people with a disability. Anyone who receives the higher rate of the Mobility Component of DLA that has 12 months to run can apply, including children.

If no-one in the family drives, a parent can still apply for a car on behalf of their child and nominate someone else as driver. If your child needs to travel in the car in their wheelchair, then ensure you seek specialist advice before purchasing the car.

The Motability website provides a guide to adaptation, or other advice is available from the Wrightington Mobility Centre.

Further information may be found on the Motability website or by calling 0845 4564566.

Changing Places is the name of a national campaign to ensure that public toilets are suitable for children and adults with more profound and multiple learning disabilities, as well as people with other serious impairments such as spinal injuries, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis or an acquired brain injury.

Changing Places' toilets are toilets with height adjustable adult-sized changing benches and a ceiling tracking hoist system, which are not otherwise available in other accessible toilets.

The aim of Changing Places toilet is to allow disabled people and their families to use the library and town centre amenities as well as the whole of the surrounding area, enabling families to access the community around them more fully.

You can access the facility if you have a radar key.

The Changing Places Website provides information on other facilities available across the country which are open to the public.


RADAR (now part of Disability Rights UK) is a network of disability organisations and individuals, playing a key role at the centre of the disability movement. The National Key Scheme (NKS) offers independent access for disabled people to around 7,000 locked public toilets around the country. RADAR makes no profit in supplying keys but needs to make a small charge to cover the costs of supply.

Please note that the toilets are the property of the providers concerned and, as such, any queries or problems concerning a toilet should be directed to that provider, rather than RADAR.

Ask yourself: could I benefit from having a RADAR key for local disabled toilets in my area?

If so, contact:

Disability Rights UK
Ground Floor, CAN Mezzanine 
49-51 East Road
N1 6AH

or register online via the Disability Rights UK Website

Disabled Persons Railcard

If you have a disability that makes travelling by train difficult, you might qualify for the Disabled Persons Railcard. The Railcard allows you (and one adult travelling with you) to get 1/3 off most rail fares throughout Great Britain.

A one-year card is £18, while a three-year Railcard is also available for £48. Visit the website for more information and to download an application form.


Whizz-Kidz aim to provide children with customised mobility equipment, training and advice on a range of mobility issues. They run a wheelchair skills training programme for wheelchair users up to 18 years old and have mobility centres in Newcastle, London and Birmingham. Visit the Whizz-Kidz website.

They also provide an online Kidz Zone, where young people are invited to become an ambassador. It includes information for young people regarding: education, social life, careers, the law and local events. Young people are also encouraged to shares their views and experiences on their own blog.

Telephone: 020 7233 6600.

Tourism for All UK

Tourism for All UK (formerly Holiday Care) is a source of holiday and travel information for disabled people and their carers. In particular it helps with information on accessible accommodation, accessible visitor attractions, accessible transport, activity holidays for people with disabilities, holidays for children with disabilities, respite care establishments, and overseas destinations.

Telephone: 0845 124 9971 (information).

Visit the Tourism for All UK website.