Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Secondary School Transport

Secondary School Travel

If your child is starting high school in September 2018, and you want to apply for assistance with home to school travel, print off the 2018/2019 application. Applications received by the 31st July 2018 will be processed for the start of the new academic year. If you are applying for assistance for the current academic year 2017/2018, you can contact the School Transport Team on 01744 671033.

Applications will only be processed from households who pay their Council Tax to St Helens Council.

Applications will be processed in accordance with the Statutory Criteria and/or Low-Income Criteria. The right to express a preference for a school does not qualify you for assistance to that school if it is not the "nearest qualifying school".

Statutory Criteria

If your child is attending the *nearest qualifying school with places and the **safest walking distance from your home to school is 3 miles or more, you may be entitled to a free bus pass for them.

*The Department of Education states that a qualifying school with places is a school that provides education appropriate to the age, ability and aptitude of the child.

**The measured walking route is one that an accompanied child may walk safely.

Low Income Criteria

If your child is entitled to free school meals or you are in receipt of maximum Working Tax Credit, and your child is attending any of the three nearest schools, you may be entitled to a free bus pass if the safest walking distance from your home to school is between 2 miles and 6 miles.

Low Income Criteria - Religion and Beliefs

If your child is attending a religious or faith school, you may be entitled to a bus pass if it is the nearest school between 2 miles and 15 miles.

 If you would like further information you can contact the School Transport Team on 671033. A full copy of the Home to School Travel Assistance Policy is also available to download.

 Alternatively if you think you may be entitled to a bus pass, you can print off an application form and return the completed form to:

School Transport Team,

People's Services,

Atlas House,

Corporation Street,

St Helen,

Merseyside WA9 1LD.

All completed applications are processed within 10 school days. If your child does qualify for assistance with travel, depending on what travel pass they are issued with, you may have to provide a current and appropriate passport sized photograph. The School Transport Team will contact you if a photograph is requiured you whether a passport sized photograph is required for the travel pass.  you may have to provide a current and up to date passport sized photograph.  The School Transport Team will notify you if a photograph is required.

ith a Solo Student bus pass which will be issued until the end of the school year.

A Solo pass can be used on any bus service travelling in the St Helens area.

If your child qualifies for bus pass under the Low Income Criteria and the school they are attending is not within the Merseyside area, you will be issues with an Arriva Student Bus Pass.

For details of bus timetables, log on to Merseytravel web page.

Please note if you move address or your child changes school you must notify the School Transport Team and return your bus pass immediately. A reassessment of your child's entitlement will be carried out and if they are still eligible for a bus pass, one will be sent to you. Failure to return the bus pass will result in you being invoiced for the cost of the bus pass, from the date your child becomes no longer eligible for a bus pass to the date the bus pass is returned.

Renewal Applications

Renewal applications will be sent during the summer term for the new academic year.

Refused Applications

If your child is refused a bus pass they do qualify not under either the statutory criteria or low income criteria, or you require another form of transport assistance for your child, the Local Authority have a 2 stage review/appeals process.

Once you have received written notification that your child is not eligible for assistance with transport you will have 20 working days to submit a written request to have your application reviewed by the Principal Officer. Your review will be heard within 20 working days of receipt. A written response will be sent notifying you of the outcome.

If the original decision is upheld and assistance is not granted, you will be notified of your right to go to the Stage 2 - Appeals process. Whereby your application along with the review decision and any supplementary information will be considered by the Independent Transport Panel. You will have 20 working days from receipt of the review decision to make a written request. Once the request is received, the Panel will meet within 40 days to consider the information. You will then be notified in writing the outcome of the Panel.

If you are refused assistance with travel and you want to go to Transport Review, contact the School Transport Team on 671033 for a form.

Lost Bus Pass

If your child loses their bus pass, a replacement bus pass can be purchased from the School Transport Team. The cost of the bus pass depends on the type of pass your child has been issued with, a Solo Pass or an Arriva Pass. If you require a replacement bus pass contact the School Transport Team on 671033.

Privacy Notice

The Council has a legal responsibility to protect the data it collects. A copy of the School Transport Privacy Notice can be downloaded.