The Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme
The St. Helens Council Music Service is able to sell instruments to pupils, which may either be VAT free and/or benefit from educational discount.
The scheme only applies to new instruments and it is not possible to purchase second-hand instruments through the scheme, regardless of their condition/age.
These savings can be passed on to pupils if the following conditions are met:
- The instrument must be for the direct use of the pupil and is necessary for delivering their education
- The tuition must form part of the normal school curriculum
- The instrument is required for regular classroom use (regular is defined as "must be brought to school on at least a weekly basis")
- The instrument is portable
- The pupil must be receiving tuition in school from a St. Helens Council Music Service appointed tutor
- The instrument must be appropriate to the needs of the pupil
- The instrument must be handed to the pupil in the school teaching room