Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Matrons/Chaperones Licence

When a child takes part in a performance they must be chaperoned by either a parent or an approved matron/chaperone.

If you want to become an approved Matron/Chaperone you must hold a current licence. You must apply for the licence to the LA where you live.

A Matron, also known as a Chaperone, is someone licensed to look after a child or children who work in entertainment. They make sure children do not work too many hours without proper breaks, that education is provided in certain circumstances and the children's safety, comfort and welfare is taken care of.

Although the licence holder will be the employer of the Chaperone, St Helens Council must have approved the children's Chaperone.

Chaperones registered with St Helens Council are approved for three years, at the end of this period the Chaperone must re-apply for registration.

This requirement applies to all licensed children that are resident in St Helens, from babies until they cease to be of compulsory school age.

Please contact us on 01744 673356 to arrange an interview.  Interviews take place on Tuesdays between 1pm and 4pm.

You must complete an application form (available from St Helens EWS) and supply the following:

  • A current CRB
  • Two passport size photographs
  • Two references

Approval can be withdrawn at any time by the LA if a chaperone proves unsuitable.

We now have a dedicated email address for all Child Licence and Matron enquiries. All enquiries should be sent to this email address.