Best place to find information and services that your council provides...
Great news! St Helens Borough Council is backing this year's Great British Spring Clean, which is running from 28 May to 13 June 2021.
Led by Keep Britain Tidy, the initiative encourages local communities to tackle litter in their areas. This year organisers have set the Million Mile Mission, which involves individuals and groups pledging how much time they will spend litter picking, which is converted into miles in the hope that by the summer everyone can enjoy a cleaner, greener, litter-free environment.
Residents, community groups and schools are being invited to grab a pair of gloves and a litter picker this spring and join in with the country's biggest mass-action environmental campaign.
The council will continue to lend its support by providing litter pickers and orange bin bags, as well as arranging for the waste to be collected from agreed locations and times that are accessible to vehicles.
If you are interested in getting involved, we can help you to set up your own community litter group or put you in touch with an existing group within the borough (we currently have over 100!).
The more people that get involved, the bigger the impact we can have. So get in touch and get involved!
To book litter pickers, orange bin bags, and a waste collection, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01744 676789.
Before You Start
- Agree a date, time and an area you are going to cover (needs to be public land)
- Call 01744 676789 or email email@example.com to get all your equipment
- Tell people about it. Social media is a great way of spreading the word! Don't forget to tag us in - @sthelenscouncil
- Perhaps put on refreshments, or create a competition to encourage and motivate people
- Call 01744 676789 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange the waste collection (please give at least 7 days notice for collection)
On The Day
- Dress appropriately - wear gloves, strong shoes and hi-vis vests
- Only pick litter and only pick up items using pickers
- Litter pick in small groups and share mobile numbers with each other
- Avoid busy roads and thick undergrowth
- Make sure you have a first aid kit
- Avoid syringes, dog faeces and sharp objects. Report these to the council for removal on 01744 676789 or email email@example.com
Once You've Finished
- Don't be shy - tell people about what you've done and encourage others to get involved
- Take lots of photos, share on social media and tag us in - @sthelenscouncil
- PLEASE NOTE: We ask that you leave the orange bags at the nearest litter/dog to picked up as part of the scheduled emptying of the bins or give 7 days notice for a waste collection to take place.