Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Additional Services

Find out about clinical waste collections, assisted bin collections, trade waste and more.

Residents who have nobody to help them and are physically unable to place their brown bin, green bin or recycling materials out for collection can apply for an assisted collection. All you will need to do is fill in a simple application form.

If you are already on the assisted collection for your brown bin and you start to recycle you will need to let us know that you need assistance with that service by calling our contact centre.

To enquire about any of the services we provide, or need more information, telephone the Contact Centre on 01744 676789 or use our online contact form.



What is clinical waste?

Any waste which consists wholly or partly of:

  • Human or animal tissue
  • Blood or bodily fluids
  • Excretions
  • Drugs or other pharmaceutical products
  • Swabs or dressings
  • Syringes, needles or other sharp instruments
  • Any other waste which may cause infection to any person coming into contact with it.

What about clinical waste produced in a household?

  • If patients are treated at home by a community nurse or member of the NHS, all waste produced as a result (syringes) is considered to be the healthcare professional's waste and they should take it away with them.
  • If the waste is non-hazardous, and so long as it is bagged and sealed properly, it is okay for it to be disposed of with the household rubbish.
  • If patients treat themselves at home, any waste produced as a result is considered to be their own.
  • Only when a specific threat has been identified is the waste considered as hazardous clinical waste. For example, syringes and materials containing blood/tissue are classed as hazardous; in these cases the local authority is obliged to collect it separately from the household waste when requested to do so by the waste holder.
  • In case of medicines, all unused medication should be returned to the nearest chemist for disposal.

For more information on medical waste collections, telephone the contact centre on 01744 676789 or use our online contact form.

Trade Waste

St.Helens Council provides a trade (or commercial) waste collection service to help all business organisations including shops, colleges, schools, nursing homes and hospitals meet their responsibilities to dispose of waste as required by law. 

We offer a quality service you can trust tailored to meet the needs of your business at affordable prices with no hidden costs. The service complies with all legislative requirements and is available 6 days a week (Monday to Saturday) with weekly collections or as often as you require with a range of different sized bins to suit your needs.  

The charge for the service is determined by the type and number of containers used, plus the frequency of collections required. We work to meet the needs of our customers to help you manage the disposal of your waste. Our team can assist you in assessing the waste you generate and the number and type of containers you will require.

Trade waste bags may also be available for businesses in the town centre where there are no storage facilities for trade waste containers.

 Services available:

  • Weekly trade waste collection (tailored to your needs)
  • A clinical waste collection service

Please contact the Council via email at tradewasteenquiries@sthelens.gov.uk for further information and a competitive quote. 

Under current environmental law the Duty of Care Legislation, all businesses must ensure that:  

  • Businesses must take all reasonable steps to keep waste safe.
  • Waste must be stored safely and secure and must not cause pollution to people or the environment.
  • The waste must be packaged in suitable containers so that it cannot fall out, blow away or escape from the receptacle.
  • It must be secured against unauthorised removal as far is reasonably practical. Security should be sufficient to prevent the breaking open of containers and removal of waste by vandals, thieves, animals, accident or weather.
  • It is collected and disposed of by a licensed waste management organisation.

All businesses must provide a written description of the waste to the person who removes it. This is known as a waste transfer note and must be completed by both parties involved in the transfer, these notes should be retained for a period of 2 years. Your licensed waste management organisation will provide the waste transfer note for completion.

For more advice and guidance on how to dispose of business waste in St.Helens, please refer to our booklet Waste Management for Commercial/Trade Properties.