Declaration on Healthy Weight
Here you can find the borough wide Declaration on Healthy Weight that you can commit to supporting.
St Helens Declaration on Healthy Weight:
We acknowledge that:
- Unhealthy weight is a serious health problem that increases disability, disease and deaths and has substantial long term economic, well-being and social costs. The proportion of the population affected by unhealthy weight continues to rise;
- Unhealthy weight is affected by health inequalities and more common in people living in disadvantaged areas;
- Poor diet and an unhealthy weight are risk factors for CVD, cancer and type 2 diabetes which contribute powerfully to poor health and premature death;
- Energy dense food and drinks high in fat and sugar and low in nutrients contribute to a significant amount of additional and unnecessary calories in the diet;
- There is greater availability and access to food and drinks high in fat and sugar, which are increasingly eaten outside of the home, contributing to excess energy intake;
- Increased intake of foods high in fat and sugar and low in fruit and vegetables are strongly linked to those in manual occupations;
- People living in more socially deprived areas have less access to healthy foods;
- Advertising and marketing of foods and drinks high in fat and sugar increases their consumption;
- Education, information and the increased availability of healthy alternatives help individuals to make healthy, informed food and drink choices;
- Modern environments contribute to sedentary lifestyles;
We commit our organisation to supporting the borough wide vision of reducing unhealthy weight in our communities, protecting the health and wellbeing of staff, services users and customers / general public by striving to:
- Raise awareness of obesity and its effects and prevention
- Help employees / services users / customers to track their diets, physical activity and body mass index (BMI)
- Consider the working environment and how it can be reinvented to reduce sedentary behaviour
- Support employees, service users and customers to access opportunities to be more active and participate in weight management
- Review provision in all our buildings, facilities and providers to make healthy foods and drinks more convenient and affordable and limit access to high-calorie, low-nutrient foods and drinks.
- Increase access to fresh drinking water
- Ensure food and drink provided at meetings / workplace staff events / public events includes healthy provisions.
Make your commitment by joining the alliance