Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Building control

Building regulation applications are required for most building projects:

  • New buildings
  • Extensions
  • Garages and garage conversions
  • Loft conversions
  • Barn conversions
  • Subdividing a house into flats
  • Various other internal and external alterations to a building

We will be happy to advise you what is required and what to do if an application is needed.

Please contact us on 01744 676240 / 676242 or e-mail buildingcontrol@sthelens.gov.uk.

You may also call into our offices in Wesley House, Corporation Street, St Helens, WA10 1HF during office hours (Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm - excluding public holidays).

You may submit your building regulation application to us online

  • Submit your application form with up to eight drawings.
  • The drawings / specifications can be in either PDF or Word document format.
  • Drawings etc. must have a combined file size no larger than 25MB.
  • If you have further drawings, please e-mail them to us at buildingcontrol@sthelens.gov.uk.
  • Please refer to your online application if you have submitted any further documents by email.

Alternatively, you may submit the application:

Charges are generally payable with your application; see 'Related Documents' below. 

If you have any queries please phone Building Control on 01744 676240 or 01744 676242, or email buildingcontrol@sthelens.gov.uk.

You can now search for applications online

If you are concerned that a building or other structure (wall, fence etc.) is in a dangerous condition, please contact Building Control. Phone:

  • Building Control on 01744 676242 or 01744 676240 (Monday to Friday 09:00am to 5:00pm - excluding public holidays).
  • Contact Centre on 01744 676789.

If you intend to demolish a building or part of a building, you are required to notify the Council in writing, giving six weeks' notice under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984.

This requirement does not apply to:

  • Buildings with a cubic content not more than 1750 cubic feet
  • Certain agricultural buildings
  • Internal parts of a building

Please complete a Section 80 Notice of Intended Demolition and provide a site plan clearly identifying the building(s) to be demolished the site boundaries.

This information can be e-mailed to buildingcontrol@sthelens.gov.uk.

Alternatively, post to St Helens Council, Building Control, Wesley House, Corporation Street, St Helens, WA10 1HF

A charge of £150.00 is payable to the Council for consideration of the demolition notification.

If you have any queries, please phone Building Control on 01744 676240 or 01744 676242.

To apply for:

  • an existing property or site to be renamed or renumbered
  • a new property or site to be given street names and numbers

Please email buildingcontrol@sthelens.gov.uk and include:

  • your name and address
  • the current address of the property to be changed (if applicable)
  • you may include a suggested name or number for the property
  • A location plan / site layout plan to identify the building(s).

There is a charge for this; please refer to the street naming and numbering charges document.

For further information, please contact our office on 01744 676242 or 01744 676240.

Designated sports grounds and sports grounds with a covered stand that holds 500 or more spectators require a safety certificate from the Council.