Best place to find information and services that your council provides...
Article date - 31 March 2017
Formed in 2007, St Helens Council’s Home Improvement Agency (HIA) specialises in ensuring their customer’s homes meet their needs by offering high quality home modifications, handyperson services, home safety and security checks and Assistive Technology equipment – available at competitive prices to all residents - via phone, email, or by visiting their brand new website: www.sthelens.gov.uk/hia
Products and services available include:
1. Ramps, stair and grab rails.
2. Small repairs: fixing taps, unblocking sinks and changing lightbulbs.
3. Level access showers, wet rooms, shower over bath, door entry systems.
4. Lifeline Emergency Units, which are linked directly to a control centre, staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
5. Lifeline Unit add-ons, including pendants and sensors to detect carbon monoxide, smoke, fire, flooding and unhealthy indoor temperatures.
6. Management of home maintenance projects – obtaining quotes, appointing jobs, monitoring progress, quality assurance.
As well as offering these services, the HIA provide small repair jobs for free to elderly and disabled residents (depending on the scale of the work required) and where chargeable, can also advise customers on available funding from Disabled Facilities Grants, registered charities such as Pilkington Trust – and assist for heating and insulation improvement, as well as income maximisation.
The agency contracts a team of trusted traders, and has access to specialist Occupational Therapy professionals. They also assist with getting homes ready for hospital discharge across the borough.
“Sometimes people just need that extra reassurance when it comes to home improvements,” said HIA Operations Manager Julie Stuchbury.
“We want to help residents 'future proof' their homes to avoid falls and mobility issues which may occur in later life– helping residents to stay at home for longer!”
Julie added: “We pride ourselves on being an approachable, effective and efficient service where no job is too small. It can be the smallest of jobs, such as changing a light bulb, which can make a huge difference to our customers, and help relieve the ongoing pressures on hospitals by avoiding unnecessary hospital admissions and bed blocking.”
Whether it’s for you, a relative, or a friend, contact the team for free advice or a competitive quote on the details below.
Call: 01744 676555