Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Supporting People

What is Supporting People?

Supporting People helps to pay for housing support to enable people to stay in their homes and live more independent lives. We fund services such as alarm services, scheme manager services, hostels and visiting support services.

Heald Farm Court Extracare Housing Service

Some examples of Supporting People services are:

  • Helping older people stay in their own homes for longer with a visiting service, which we call 'Floating Support'
  • Wardens/Scheme Managers in Sheltered Schemes
  • Helping people with learning disabilities or mental illness to live more independently
  • Helping teenage parents to gain life skills to help them to become more independent
  • Helping people who are homeless/sleeping rough to find a permanent home

Your housing support service will be provided by one of our services, who we work closely with to ensure you get a good quality, value for money service.

We also work closely with Health, Social Care, Probation and other organisations to make sure services are meeting local needs.

While the Supporting People team do not directly provide this support, we are here to help guide you through the process and point you in the right direction if you need further help or advice.

Contact us by telephone on 01744 67 6152 or by email at supportingpeople@sthelens.gov.uk.

Some examples of the residents we provide services for are:

  • People with learning disabilities
  • Older people with support needs
  • People with mental health problems
  • Homeless families or single homeless people
  • Young people leaving care or at risk
  • Teenage parents
  • People at risk of domestic violence
  • Travellers/gypsies

We want to make sure the service you receive is good quality and value for money. Therefore we welcome your feedback on your support service. If you would like someone to act on your behalf with your permission, there are advocacy services who can help you. This can be accessed through the Council's Health Advocacy page.

If you would like to comment on your service or make a compliment or complaint, your complaint should be made to your support provider in the first instance.

You can get in touch with St Helens Council Contact Centre to make a compliment or complaint in the following ways:

Contact Centre Contact Details


01744 676789 (Weekdays 8:00am to 8:00pm, Saturdays 10:00am to 2:00pm)

Write to:

St Helens Council, Supporting People, 2nd Floor Atlas House, Corporation Street, St Helens WA9 1LD

Call in person:

Atlas House Reception, Corporation Street, St Helens WA9 1LD



You can contact the Supporting People Team by telephone on 01744 67 6152 or by email at supportingpeople@sthelens.gov.uk. We will make sure that your complaint has been dealt with and that you have received a satisfactory response.

If you are still not happy, then you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman at www.lgo.org.uk.

Information on the Supporting People Compliments and Complaints policy can be accessed through this website.