Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Housing advice and homelessness

Housing Options

If you need help or advice on any housing issue within St Helens then we can help.

Whether you're a homeowner or tenant with problems with your existing home, or you are looking for a new home, we can point you in the right direction.  Further information is available in the Housing Options Booklet or you can contact us.

Every local authority has a duty to prevent homelessness or to provide advice and assistance to people who are homeless or  who are threatened with becoming homeless.  We can provide you with the advice and information that you need, should you  lose or be at risk of losing your accommodation.  We've listed some examples of scenarios that we can provide assistance to    prevent you becoming homeless;

  • Living with family members who have asked you to leave
  • Problems with your landlord or tenancy
  • Domestic Violence
  • Violence or harassment from outside your home
  • Poor property conditions
  • Served Notice to leave a property
  • Struggling with financial costs of your home
  • Relationship breakdown with a partner

As well as providing advice and assistance to homeless people we also provide general housing advice and assistance to homeowners, tenants and landlords.

The Homelessness Reduction Act 2018, places a duty on public authorities to notify a Local Authority of service users they consider may be homeless or threatened with homelessness (i.e. it is likely they will become homeless within 56 days).

Before making a referral, a public authority must;

  • have consent to the referral from the individual;
  • allow the individual to identify the housing authority in England which they would like the notification to be made to; and,
  • have consent from the individual that their contact details can be supplied so the housing authority can contact them regarding the referral

The public authorities which are subject to the duty to refer are specified in the Homelessness (Review Procedure etc.) Regulations 2018.  The public services included in the duty are as follows:

  • prisons;
  • youth offender institutions;
  • secure training centres;
  • secure colleges;
  • youth offending teams;
  • probation services (including community rehabilitation companies);
  • Jobcentre Plus;
  • social service authorities;
  • emergency departments;
  • urgent treatment centres; and,
  • hospitals in their function of providing inpatient care

 Duty to Refer Referral Form


Rough sleeping is the most severe form of homelessness.  If you've seen someone sleeping rough or who may need our support in St Helens then contact us.  

We need the location, a basic description together with the date and time.  Alternatively report via Street Link

Telephone 01744 675150 - Housing Options & Advice Team (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm / Wednesday 10.00am to 5.00pm)

0845 0500148 - St Helens & Halton Council Emergency Duty Team (Emergency advice or assistance outside office hours)

Call in Person Housing Options and Advice Team, 2nd Floor Millennium Centre, Corporation Street, St Helens (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm/ Wednesday 10.00am to 5.00pm)

Write to us Housing Option and Advice Team, 2nd Floor Millennium Centre, Corporation Street, St Helens, Merseyside, WA10 1HJ

Email HousingAdvice+Options@sthelens.gov.uk