First World War Events
See what WWI Commemoration events and exhibitions are going on in St.Helens on the Official UK First World War Centenary Website
St.Helens Borough's First World War Victoria Cross Recipients
Four WWI Soldiers who were resident in St.Helens Borough were awarded the Victoria Cross. St.Helens Borough's First World War Victoria Cross Recipients gives a short biography for each recipient and includes the grave/section reference details for those buried at St.Helens Cemetery.
- Frederick William Hall V.C. - The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, awarded on the 24th April 1915
- John Molyneux V.C. - The Royal Fusiliers, awarded on the 9th October 1917
- John Thomas Davies V.C. - The South Lancashire Regiment, awarded on the 24th March 1918
- Norman Harvey V.C. - The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, awarded on the 25th October 1918
St.Helens First World War Commemoration Events Funding Guide
The following funding streams are available to support WWI Commemorations
- Heritage Lottery Fund is the main source of funding for WWI Commemoration events
- The Arts Council funding for arts, museum and school WWI Commemoration projects
- 14-18 Now commission artist, musicians and writers to commemorate WWI
- The Official UK First World War Centenary website has more information on funding and events
- War Memorial Grants funding for renovation and repair
St.Helens First World War Commemoration Events Planning Guide
There will be many events planned to commemorate the First World War Centenary throughout the five-year period of its duration.
St.Helens Armed Forces Covenant Partnership would like to encourage those planning events or exhibitions to promote and publicise their projects
Guidance and advice on planning and promoting a First World War Commemoration event can be found on the Council's Event Planning & Promotion Webpage
You may publicise your First World War Commemoration event in the following ways
- Submit your event to the Official UK First World War Centenary Website Events Calendar
- Submit your event to the What's On In St.Helens Facebook page
In order to share your event through Official UK First World War Centenary Events Calendar, you need to become a member of the Centenary Partnership. To find out more about becoming a member and for details of how to sign up please visit the Centenary Partnership Webpage.
In order to share your event through What's On In St Helens please visit St.Helens Council's Strategic Events Team Webpage
If you wish to publicise your First World War Commemoration event, then these are the details you should consider providing
- Lead Organisation
- Event organiser's name
- email contact
- phone number
- What you are planning to do?
- How can people get involved?
- Is it free or is there a charge?
- Date(s) and time(s)
- Location or address
- How can people get in touch if they want further information
First World War Local History Projects
- St. Helens Rolls Of Honour: The 'Virtual Cenotaph' dedicated to St. Helens' Fallen War Heroes
- St. Helens Pals WWI Project: 11th (Service) Battalion. South Lancashire Regiment (St. Helens Pioneers)
- Sutton at War: An Illustrated History of Old Sutton in St.Helens during the First and Second World Wars