Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Problems paying your Council Tax

If you are having problems paying your Council Tax, don't ignore the problem. Contact us immediately on 01744 675255 or, if you have outstanding debts that have been subject to a Court Summons, please telephone 01744 675285 for the Recovery section who will be dealing with your account.

Alternatively call into Wesley House, Corporation Street, St Helens, WA10 1HF from Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 4.30 pm (Wednesdays from 10:00am).

Arrangements for payment may be made at any stage of the recovery process. You may be required to let us know details of your income and expenditure, which will help us decide on a payment arrangement you can afford. Remember, don't ignore the problem – if you do, you may incur further costs in the future.

Should you wish for us to consider an alternative repayment plan, you may be required to submit details of your income and expenditure (opens in a new window).

If you have outstanding debts including Council Tax, please do not ignore the problem. Free, independent advice is available from various organisations such as

What happens if you don't pay?

The Government have passed regulations outlining what action councils must take in order to legally recover any Council Tax arrears.

If your instalment is not paid by the due date, a reminder will be issued for the outstanding instalment. If this is not paid within seven days, you will lose your right to pay by instalment and a court summons will be issued for the full year's balance.

If your account is brought up to date within the seven days, you can continue with your monthly instalments. The Council is only required to send a maximum of two reminders in any financial year, after which you will automatically lose your right to instalments and be sent a final notice for the full year's balance.

Once you have received a final notice, if you do not pay the full amount or contact us to make an arrangement for payment, you will be issued with a court summons and you will have to pay additional court costs.

Remember, you can still make an arrangement for payment once a summons has been issued.

If you receive a summons and do not pay in full before the court hearing, an application for a Liability Order will be made to the Magistrates Court for the remaining balance. Once a Liability Order has been granted, the Council has the following powers of recovering the debt. We can:

  • Apply for deductions to be made directly from your earnings, Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit.
  • Apply for you to be made bankrupt.
  • Apply to the County Court for a charging order if you own the property.
  • Apply for you to be committed to prison for a period of up to three months once other recovery methods have been tried.
  • Forward the Liability Order to enforcement agents acting on behalf of the Council, who will be empowered to remove your goods if payment is not made (additional charges will be incurred at enforcement stage).

For your information, the contact details of the enforcement agents we use are shown below.

4 Europa Boulevard, Birkenhead, Merseyside, CH41 4PE.

Telephone: 0151 650 4900 or visit their website at https://www.jacobsenforcement.com/

53 Northampton Road, Market Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16 9HB.

Telephone: 0845 658 5030

Email: info@rundles.org.uk or visit their website at www.rundles.org.uk

Wavell House, Holcombe Road, Helmshore, Rossendale, BB4 4NB

Telephone: 0845 644 4100 or visit their website at http://www.rossendales.com

Bartleet Road, Washford, Redditch, Worcestershire, B98 0FL

Telephone: 0871 677 0070 or visit their website at http://www.bristowsutor.co.uk/

No available links.

No available documents.