The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III
The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III and The Queen Consort will take place at Westminster Abbey on Saturday 6 May 2023.
The Coronation of His Majesty The King and Her Majesty The Queen Consort is a time for celebration across the nation and the Commonwealth, over a weekend of special events:
- Saturday 6 May the Coronation Ceremony takes place at Westminster Abbey, London.
- 6-8 May will see Coronation Big Lunches up and down the country.
- Sunday May 7 a spectacular Coronation Concert will be performed at Windsor Castle with iconic locations across the UK lit up using projections, lasers, drone displays and illuminations.
- Monday 8 May a special Bank Holiday has been proclaimed by the Prime Minister in honour of the Coronation, giving everyone the opportunity to join in with their communities and good causes through Big Help Out activities.
The Coronation Big Lunch
The Coronation Big Lunch, at which neighbours and communities are invited to share friendship, food and fun together, will take place across the country between 6-8 May. You may wish to organise a street party to celebrate with your neighbours and community. Applications for free road closures are available across the whole Bank Holiday weekend which can be done here Road closure application form for the King's Coronation (Word doc) [2MB] .
The deadline for street party and road closure applications is Friday 24 March 2023. You can read the FAQs for planning a street party here Street Party FAQs (PDF) [163KB] .
If you don't want to close the road, or live in a street where that is not possible, you could host a 'street meet' instead. Street meets are informal smaller scale street parties that take place on a driveway, parking area, front garden or end of a cul-de-sac. Provided it is on private land and you have full landowner permission, you can pick a spot in the street to have a get-together.
Alternatively, you may want to organise something in one of our parks. If this is something you want to do, please complete an Application to hold an Event on Council Land Form and submit to our Events Team in the first instance email@example.com detailing the park you wish to use.
You can add details of your event to the Big Lunch interactive map here.
Head to The Big Lunch website for information about getting involved and some ideas for your own event.
The Big Help Out
On Monday 8 May 2023, members of the public will be invited to take part in The Big Help Out, which will encourage people to try volunteering for themselves and join the work being undertaken to support their local areas.
How to attend or organise a Big Help Out event: information will be available on The Big Help Out website from 20 March.
Community Events & Funding
If you are a community or voluntary group who are looking to hold a community event to celebrate this historic occasion, you can apply for funding to support you. Contact Halton and St Helens VCA for more information.
Funding is available of up to £10,000 for events and activities through the National Lottery Awards and we are encouraging community groups to apply. National Lottery Awards for All does not have a deadline, but it can take up to 12 weeks from the point of application submission to receiving funding, which means applications for the Coronation weekend should be made before the middle of February. All funding criteria and terms and conditions are here.
A range of useful templates and materials to help you with your Coronation celebrations can be found on The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III and The Queen Consort website.
A number of events have been organised at libraries across the Borough to mark the Coronation:
Chester Lane Library
- Royal Coffee Afternoon: Thursday 4 May, 2pm-3.30pm
- Royal Read and Rhyme: Friday 5 May, 11am-11.30am
- Coronation Craft Session: Friday 5 May, 3.30pm-4.30pm
- Royal Read and Rhyme: Friday 12 May, 10.30am-11.15am
- Coronation Afternoon Tea and Royal Quiz: Friday 5 May, 2pm-3pm
- Coronation Crafts and Royal Treasure Hunt: Friday 5 May, 3.30pm-4.30pm
- Royal Read and Rhyme: Thursday 4 May, 2.15pm
- Coronation Quiz: Friday 5 May, 2pm-3pm
Moss Bank Library
- Royal Read and Rhyme: Friday 12 May, 10.30am-11am
- Coronation Quiz: Friday 12 May, 2pm-3pm
- Coronation Coffee Morning and Royal Quiz: Thursday 4 May, 10.30am-11.30am
- Coronation Crafts and Royal Treasure Hunt: Thursday 4 May, 3.30pm-4.30pm
- Royal Read and Rhyme: Friday 5 May, 2.15pm
- Coronation Craft Session: Thursday 4 May, 3.30pm-4.30pm
- Royal Read and Rhyme: Tuesday 9 May, 10.30am-11am
- Coronation Coffee Afternoon: Thursday 11 May, 2pm-3pm
- Coronation Coffee Morning and Royal Quiz: Thursday 4 May, 12pm-2pm
- Royal Read and Rhyme: Friday 5 May, 10.30am-11am
- Coronation Crafts and Royal Treasure Hunt: Friday 5 May, 3.15-4.15pm
St Helens Library
- After School Royal Storytime and Craft: Tuesday 2 May, 3.45pm
- Royal Read and Rhyme: Wednesday 3 May, 10.15am
- Royal Read and Rhyme: Thursday 4 May, 10.15am
- Coronation Tea Party: Friday 5 May, 2pm-3pm
Thatto Heath Library
- Royal Read and Rhyme: Friday 5 May, 11am
- Coronation Tea Party: Friday 5 May, 2.30pm-3.30pm