Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

DV - Housing, Money and Health


If you need to leave home because you are suffering domestic violence (DV) you may decide to go into a refuge or stay with family or friends. The Council has a duty to offer you advice about being re-housed and offer you emergency accommodation, if you are homeless due to DV.

More information is available on the Housing Advice and Homelessness webpage.


If possible set up your own bank account if you currently have a joint account with your abusive partner. Try and arrange for income like wages or benefits to go to your account.

Your local Job Centre Plus will be able to provide you with information around Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance ( JSA)  and Child Tax Credit. They may also be able to provide information around Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants.

St Helens Council will be able to provide you with information around housing benefits.

St Helens Citizens Advice Bureau can provide you with more information on what you may be entitled to.


DV effects your health both physically and mentally, it is important that you seek medical help, as soon as possible. This might be at your doctors, Walk-in Centre or A&E at hospital. If you have a serious or life threatening injury you should call 999 and ask for an ambulance.