Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Drugs & alcohol support

Are you worried about addiction?

There are lots of places you can find help with addictions. It may be your own addiction, a close friend or family member.

Local support services

CGL (Change, Grow, Live)
Lincoln House
80 Corporation Street
St Helens
WA10 1UQ

Tel: 01744 410752
Email:  sthelens.info@cgl.org.uk

Opening hours 
Monday - Friday: 9.00am - 5.00pm (late night Wednesday till 8.00pm)
Saturday: 9.00am - 1.00pm

Support for young people

If you are aged 19 or under, support services are provided by:

St Helens Council's Young People's Drug and Alcohol Team
Lord Street Centre
Lord Street
St Helens
WA10 2SP

Tel: 01744 675 605
Email: ypdaat@sthelens.gov.uk 

Opening hours
Monday - Friday: 9.00am - 5.00pm

Other support

Support is available for anyone affected by another person's substance misuse at:

Footsteps 2000 Ltd
Central Court
North Road
St Helens

Tel: 01744 808 212

What do I do if I find drug-related litter?


If you find any drug-related litter, please don't touch it – there are risks when handling used needles. The correct protective equipment and disposal methods must be followed.

If you find needles or syringes on council or school property during working hours, please report this immediately to a member of staff. Somebody on site may already be trained to deal with it.

NOS Canisters

Used Nitrous Oxide Canisters (N20, NOS, Laughing Gas) can also be reported for removal. The empty silver vessels are often discarded in large piles in parks, open spaces and alleyways. They are unsightly and spoil community spaces for others. 

The balloons, which are often used to inhale the gas once dispensed from the canisters, can also have a deadly impact on wildlife, such as birds, who mistake them for food. For information about the risks of Nitrous Oxide, visit #N2othingtolaughabout

Private land

Private land owners are responsible for the removal of drugs litter from their own property; however, the council can arrange its removal at a small cost. 

Report drug-related litter to the council

What do I do if I suffer a needle stick injury?

  • Don't panic
  • Encourage the wound to bleed, but don't suck it
  • Rinse the wound under running water
  • Dress it and go to A&E or a walk-in centre