Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Secondhand Goods

We adopted Section 34 of the County of Merseyside Act 1980, meaning no person shall carry out the business of a dealer in secondhand goods unless they are registered with St Helens Council as Licensing Authority.

The legislation provides an exemption from this requirement. Section 34 of the act does not apply to:

  • any persons engaged in a business carried on by a group, organisation or body which is registered as a charity under Section 4 of the Charities Act 1960, or excepted from registration by virtue or subsection (4) of that section; or
  • a person in respect of whom particulars are registered under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964, in respect of his business as a scrap metal dealer; or
  • a person engaged in business as a dealer in waste paper, cardboard, textiles or plastics in bulk in respect of his business as such; or
  • the holder of a licence issued under Section 22 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, in respect of activities covered by the licence or a person who dies not need such a licence by virtue of section 21 of that act; or
  • a person engaged in the business either of financing the acquisition of goods by means of hire purchase agreements, conditional sale agreements (as defined in section 189(1) of the said act of 1974) or bailment agreements, in respect of any such business or any transaction incidental thereto; or
  • a person engaged in a business of which the primary purpose is the supply of new, unused goods and to which the supply of secondhand or used goods is merely incidental;
  • and for the purposes of this section a person is not to be treated as carrying on the business of a dealer in secondhand goods merely because occasionally he enters into transactions belonging to a business of that sort.

Application process

  • To apply for a licence, please complete the application form and submit it to us by email or post. Before completing the application, please view and read our Privacy Policy.
  • You may make changes to the premises licensed or change the details of the licence holder. Please contact us for further advice.

These licences are not transferable.

There is no fee for this licence.