Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

General Licensing News Feed

Contact Licensing

To contact Licensing via the phone while our office is closed, please call 01744 676770.

Alternatively, you can contact us via email: General Licensing email.

Please be aware the phones will be busy and we would advise you to email us.

Operational Hours

From Monday 30 March 2020, our operational hours will be 9am to 5pm. Please use our general licensing and taxi licensing emails first as we don't have as many phone lines as usual.

We can answer your queries much faster on email.

Don't forget to let us know about any problems you may be experiencing and we'll do our best to help.

Useful Links

Financial Support for Businesses

Information for those who are self-employed

Understanding how to claim Universal Credit

Self-employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS)

Guidance on social distancing

St Helens Council recognises the valuable service businesses provide to residents of and also understands that many businesses may look to change their current business models and diversify their normal trading during this difficult time. We will seek to support you in any way we can in order for you to keep your businesses operating.

One such way of diversifying your business would be to provide an alcohol delivery service. These are often carried out as part of the general delivery of food items.

If your business is licensed for off sales then you can provide such a delivery service (Please see the 'Alcohol Deliveries' section for more information).

If your business is not licensed for off sales or even if it is not licensed for the supply of alcohol at all, you could still look to provide this service by applying for Temporary Event Notices (TENs).

Useful Links

Financial Support for Businesses

As a response to the coronavirus crisis, many premises have looked to adapt their businesses models. One such way is to provide a delivery service.

Alcohol deliveries are permitted as long as the premises licence authorises the supply for consumption OFF the premises and there are no specific conditions precluding any such deliveries.

For any alcohol deliveries you should ensure that:

  • The timings on the current premises licence are adhered to.
  • The premises licence age verification policy is strictly followed.
  • Any staff training extends to those carrying out the deliveries.

Additional measures that you are encouraged to follow include:

  • Take the full name of the person submitting the order.
  • Take their full address details.
  • Take their telephone number and/or email address.
  • Record all these records as bookings.

Also when delivering any alcohol you should refuse any service should you suspect that:

  • The person making the purchase is doing so for a minor.
  • The person is already intoxicated.

Finally, you should check with the insurance companies that any vehicles used are sufficiently covered as it is likely that a delivery service will be viewed as business use.

We are supporting businesses that are adapting their business models to providing alcohol services by way of advertising them on our website. If you would like your premises to be included in this, then please send us an email. Please provide your name, the name and address of your premises and your preferred contact details. Please specify any timings you would be willing to offer delivery services.

We will advertise the name and address of your premises on our website along with your delivery times.

St Helens Council understands that this current period of closure is having a serious effect on licensed businesses and that is why we are offering advice on how best to secure your premises during this difficult time.

During this period of closure, it is vital that you secure your premises so the following are measures that you are encouraged to undertake:

  • Remove and stock or items of value from the premises or secure them in a safe area.
  • Ensure any alarm systems are checked and are working correctly.
  • Ensure CCTV is working and that it is timed and dated correctly - consider using a mobile phone app.
  • Consider timer switches or ensure that the premise are sufficiently well lit.
  • Make sure all shutters, doors and windows are secured.
  • Display signage that the premises has been secured and that no cash or any items of value have been left on site and that the premises CCTV remains operational.
  • Check your current insurance cover.

Diageo has announced a suite of measures to help support the British drinks trade as it faces unprecedented challenges from the impact of the COVID-19 crisis.

Guinness is pledging £1,000,000 to support bartenders in the free trade across Great Britain. Thousands of bartenders will be able to benefit from the £1,000,000 fund intended for pubs and bars to put towards bartenders’ wages. A similar community fund is being set up in Ireland.

Anyone working in the drinks trade will be given the opportunity to attend a complimentary Diageo Bar Academy Training Course, consisting of virtual training and online learning. 

Training includes modules such as the ‘business of bar tending,’ which can provide practical advice and may help to manage quieter trading periods.

View the full article on Diageo's website.

In the coming weeks Licensing are due to go live with an online portal which will allow you to submit applications relating to the following areas of LA3:

  • Vary DPS
  • Club Premises Licence
  • Interim Authority Notice
  • Minor Variation
  • New Premises Licence/ Club Certificate
  • Notification of Interest
  • Provisional Statement
  • Temporary Event Notice
  • Transfer of a Premises Licence
  • Vary a Premises Licence

This project is part of a long term plan for licensing which has seen changes to how we deliver and operate our services to ensure that you as the customer, are able to access our services 24 hrs a day.

This portal will allow you to submit application forms for the above mentioned areas and allow payment to be taken for the application.

As a Licensing Authority we strive to validate licence applications without any unnecessary delays. However, it should be noted that we cannot give any assurances that applications will be validated as soon as they are submitted and as such you should refrain from submitting any applications after 4pm on any given day.

St Helens Council would like to remind residents looking to have scrap metal items collected to always check the credentials of those collecting their waste.

The call comes following reports of potentially unlicensed traders operating in the borough, driving round in a variety of vehicles collecting scrap metal that has been left out.

Operating without a mobile scrap metal licence is illegal and an offence under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.

As a way of clamping down on unlicensed traders, the council is calling on the public to arrange collections with legitimate traders only, refrain from leaving scrap metal items outside of their property, and report any suspicious activity to the local authority.

Councillor Lynn Clarke, St Helens Council’s portfolio holder for licensing and trading standards, said:

“It may be tempting to leave scrap metal waste outside a property or by the side of a road with the understanding that it will be swiftly taken away - but the reality is that there are rogue traders out there who could end up fly-tipping this waste and you too could be held accountable and prosecuted if we find out the waste is yours.

“It’s simply not worth taking this risk, so for peace of mind I would urge residents looking to use this type of service to contact a licensed scrap metal trader.

"Residents can also arrange to have bulky rubbish collected by the council by visiting our website.

To check that a scrap dealer is licensed, please contact St Helens Council’s licensing team by calling 01744 676770 or emailing generallicensing@sthelens.gov.uk.

Apply for a scrap metal dealer's licence.

Please see the following document that provides advice and guidance in regards to making your premises safe from fire.