Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Temporary Event Notices (TEN)

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is required if you plan to do any of the following licensable activities on an unlicensed premises:

  • Sell Alcohol
  • Serving hot food or drink between the hours of 11pm and 5am
  • Entertainment (Indoor sporting events, Music etc...)
  • Serving alcohol to members of a private club


Before completing the application please view and read our Privacy Policy.

To apply for a TENS you must download and complete the relevant application form and then submit it to the Council along with the fee at least 10 working days (but the earlier the better) before the event is due to take place.

The fee for the application can either be paid via credit/ debit card or a cheque can be sent in with the application. 

You must be 18 years old to apply for a TEN.

A copy of the notice must also be served on the same day to Merseyside Police (Licensing), Walton Lane Police Station, Walton Lane, Liverpool, L4 5XF and Environmental Health, St Helens Council, Wesley House, Corporation Street, St Helens, Merseyside WA10 1HF

Please Note: The date of submission for the TEN and the date of the event are not included in the 10 working days.

A late TENS is one which has been submitted with less than 10 working days before the events is due to take place. The latest you can apply for a late TENS is 5 working days before the event but no earlier than 9.

If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

Before completing the  electronic application please view and read our Privacy Policy.

Unless you submit an electronic application you must also give a copy of the notice to both the Police and to Environmental Health at the Council no later than ten working days before the event.


You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of two Late TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 10 Late TENs per year.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events. 

The TEN must be given in writing (including by electronic means), in duplicate, to the local authority at least five working days before the event. A fee is payable with the notice.
A “working day” is any day other than a Saturday, a Sunday, Christmas Day, Good Friday, or a day which is a bank holiday.  “Five working days” notice means five working days exclusive of the day on which the event is to start, and exclusive of the day on which the notice is given.

The local authority will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

Unless an application has been submitted electronically, the premises user must also give notice to both the chief officer of the local police department and Environmental Health department no later than five working days before the event period.

The chief officer of police/Environmental Health who receives a notice and believes that the event would undermine the licensing objectives can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within three working days of receipt of the temporary event notice.

The local licensing authority may, at least 24 hours before the event is due to start, issue a counter notice if it considers the event would undermine the licensing objectives.  The event would not in this case be authorised to proceed.

Counter notices may be issued by the licensing authority if the number of permitted Late TENs has been exceeded. 
A non-refundable fee of £21.00 is payable for each notice.